Thursday, May 23, 2013

End of the year IEP

As we get close to the end of the school year, I can't help but think about how incredibly far my little Lily has come this year. Since being diagnosed with Childhood Apraxia of Speech in September SO much has changed. When we started speech at the school in November she still only had 20-30 words, now she is using 3 sometimes 4 word sentences! There is still a lot of work to do though. Her apraxia makes it very hard to understand her so even the words she knows don't always come out correctly, but the progress she has made is truly amazing. I can actually joke with her now and she will point out things on the tv and has even started making her dolls have little conversations. At her last IEP meeting we decided to keep her in the classroom setting instead of moving to just speech therapy, there are still a lot of fine motor skills she needs to be working on. I also had them add on eating techniques, since she still struggles with forks and spoons and drinking from an open cup. They also want to increase her days from twice a week to 5 times a week next year since she is struggling with routine, like coming to the carpet for circle time without being prompted multiple times and stuff like that. But she is still only 2 (3 in July) so things like that aren't that big a deal. If someone had told me in September that I would be able to have small conversations with my daughter by June I would have never believed them. Now I just need to find ways to build on it so we can continue to learn through the summer while she is out of school!

No comments:

Post a Comment